Astronomer, Data Flow Scientist
Association of correct WCS to an image file
Image file (in FITS format?) with indication of pointing centre and pixel size.
- Display the image from a local disk or via a server. It either has a rough WCS or the rough centre, orientation and scale is known or they can be attached from another file.
- Overlay a remote astrometric catalogue e.g. GSC at ESO as Skycat/GAIA.
- Mark the stars on the image and drag/assign the catalogue stars or run a detection program on-the-fly which has some background following and other detection parameters like thresholding parameters, image saturation levels.
- Perform a fit where the residuals might be shown as vectors on the original plot.
- Edit the fitted stars by hand or the program sigma clips iteratively.
- Accept the fit.
- Save the image with the new WCS on a local disk or back on the server.
: Please add comments below. This area should be used for refinement of the above document. If you want to ask questions or start a dialogue with the author, please use (or create) a topic in the Use Cases Forum
: Once the refinements here and comments in the forum die down, perhaps you could rewrite the problem, incorporating the comments and refinements.
- 27 Jan 2002
Topic revision: r2 - 2002-02-08 - 09:17:28 - TonyLinde